- Artist Statement
- My work is an extension of the road I have traveled, exploring landscapes both rural and urban. Communities where I have lived, from the Midwest to Florida, the San Francisco Bay area to Montana, and now the Coachella Valley, have all influenced my work and vision. Each unique community provides opportunities to explore and to grow as an artist. It is the recurring themes of familiarity, cultural and historical context, and iconic representations of contemporary urban landscape, that I find most fascinating and inspiring. Through my work I hope to encapsulate the place I am depicting, not merely visually, but emotionally, with the integration of text and diverse media. Each community I have lived, worked, or visited continues to present unique opportunities for exploration and growth as an artist. I hope to share with the viewer the themes of familiarity, cultural and historicalcontext, and exploration, that have so influenced my development as a professional artist.
- Dennis Johnson has an MFA degree in printmaking from the University of South Florida, Tampa Florida. He is a board member of the Artists Council at Palm Springs Art Museum, member of the Los Angeles Printmaking Society, and Printmakers Network at the Riverside Art Museum. Dennis has exhibited nationally and internationally and has won numerous awards in juried exhibitions. His work is in the permanent collection of the Art Institute of Chicago, St. Louis Art Museum, and Museum of Contemporary Art in Madison, Wisconsin. Dennis is an instructor at California State University of San Bernardino, Palm Desert Campus, and College of the Desert in Palm Desert.
- Lectures, Workshops, Presentations: 2015 – 2010
- Printmaking workshop, "Birds, Bears, & Bitterroot" Stumptown Art Studio, Whitefish, MT
Earth Matters: Palm Springs Public Library, Presentation: Palm Springs, CA
2015–2010: Volunteer at $99 Bucks Art Sale, Palm Springs Art Museum. Volunteered and donated artwork for the $99 Bucks Art Sale, a major fund-raising event sponsored by the Artists Council benefiting Palm Springs Art Museum educational programs.
- Artist in Action: Prinmaking demonstration using solar plates at the Palm Springs Art Museum.
- Solar printmaking demonstration at Riverside Art Museum. Over 100 people attended the presentation including many high school and college students.
Volunteer at Riverside Art Museum monoprint demonstration. Participants created “Valentine” monoprints from a variety of materials.
- Meet the Artist, lecture, followed by questions and answers, and reception for new work entitled, American Prairie Series, works inspired by the Flathead Lake region of Montana, Page by Page Bookstore, Polson, MT.
- SELECTED EXHIBITIONS: 2015 – 2010
- Then and Now: College of the Desert faculty Sshow: Venus Art Studios, Palm Desert, CA
- Made in California—Juried Exhibition: City of Brea Art Gallery, Brea, CA
Earth Matters: Palm Springs Public Library, Palm Springs, CA
Forgotten Junctures: Take 3 Contemporary Gallery, Palm Springs, CA
- Transferring Ink 3: Juried Show, Fallbrook Art Center, Fallbrook, CA
- Works on Paper: Exhibition at California State University, San Bernardino, Palm Desert Campus, Palm Desert CA
ACE: Artist’s Council Exhibition 2013: Artists Council of the Palm Springs Art Museum, a juried exhibition: Michele Jaminson Award in Printmaking. Palm Springs Art Museum, Palm Springs, CA
15th Annual Palm Springs Annual Juried Art Show: Commission’s Award. Palm Springs, CA
Right Under Your Nose: University of California, Riverside, Palm Desert Campus, a juried exhibition. Palm Desert, CA
- ACE: Artist’s Council Exhibition 2012: Artists Council of the Palm Springs Art Museum, a juried exhibition: Palm Springs Art Museum, Palm Springs, CA
Los Angeles Printmaking Society, 22nd National Exhibition: Culture: Man, Machine, and Nature, Juried group show, Sisson Gallery, Henry Ford Community College, Dearborn, MI
DesertScapes—A Sense of Place: Prints, photo etchings, and digital photo collages, Marks Center for the Arts, College of the Desert, Palm Desert, CA
- Awarded first place prize: ACE: Artist’s Council Exhibition 2011: Artists Council of the Palm Springs Art Museum, a juried exhibition: Palm Springs Art Museum, Palm Springs, CA
Los Angeles Printmaking Society, 21st National Exhibition: Juried group show, at the City of Brea Art Gallery, Brea, CA
A Touch of Color: A Printmakers Network@RAM Exhibition: Riverside Art Museum, Riverside, CA
Awarded first place prize: Going Solar: St. Louis Artists’ Guild in conjunction with the Southern Graphics International Conference, a juried exhibition sponsored by Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Urban Legends: Prints and photo etchings, Bucci’s Restaurant, Emeryville, CA
America Prairie Series: Prints and mixed media, Page by Page Bookstore, Polson, MT
All in the Family: Alameda Free Library, prints and photographs, Alameda, CA
Permanent Collections: Art Institute of Chicago, St. Louis Art Museum, and Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, Madison, WI